lunes, 27 de mayo de 2013

Home Sweet Home?

On Friday morning, at the end of a long ride in the night bus from Huaraz, I opened my sleep-sticky eyes and looked out the window. Tall, nondescript, concrete buildings; aging cars spewing exhaust; the angry sound of horns even at this hour of the morning... Yep, I was in Lima alright. But why was it so gray? I looked at my watch. Definitely after sunrise. Then I realized that this was the famous garua, or heavy gray mist that covers the city for over half the year. With a grumpy sigh, I put my sleep mask back over my eyes to block out the sight.

After two months of traveling through lush jungles and snow-capped mountains, the sight of Lima is singularly disappointing. Nobody can say that it is a beautiful city, and tourists seldom spend more than a couple days here. And yet, upon seeing it, I felt a peace settle over me. Here, there is a comfortable bed that I will sleep in for more than two nights, and a family that welcomed me into their home. Here, I don't have to repack my bag every morning, and I won't have to wear wrinkled clothing every day. Here, I have friends to be crazy with or to relax with, who will show me all the places that make Lima worthwhile. For the moment, Lima is home, and it feels good to be home after traveling for so long.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario