lunes, 25 de marzo de 2013

World Cup Mania


On Friday, Peru played Chile (here in Peru) in the World Cup qualifiers. Traditionally, it's a big rivalry, which traditionally Chile has always won. I went to a hostel to watch with a friend and his buddies. Excitement was high, but expectations were low.


During the game, Peru had possession most of the time and there were many moments of breathless anticipation... and then huge sighs of disappointment as they kept missing their shots. Finally, in the 87th minute, they scored. Everyone jumped up and hugged, much beer was spilled, and I was so psyched that I managed to ram my elbow/funny bone onto the nearby tiki torch, which thankfully was unlit.  My arm is fine now, but I did have my doubts. Outside, everything was a chaos of honking horns and waving flags. Strangers would walk up to each other and shout, "¡Que vive Perú carajo!" ("Long live Peru, dammit!") Overall, it was a very happy night for Peru.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario