domingo, 17 de agosto de 2014

La Feria Del Hogar

I'm just now getting around to writing about Jorge's and my experience at the new Feria del Hogar because I've been too busy I'm really good at procrastinating. There's been a lot of buzz, because it used to be the most beloved and exciting event of the year. Before the advent of modern shopping malls and the internet, it was the place to ooh and aah over the newest advances in technology and buy the latest housewares, as well as a place for the kids to go on carnival rides and stuff themselves full of cotton candy (presumably in that order).

Obviously, I wasn't here the first time around so I can't compare this year's version to its past iterations. But from all I've heard and read, it just doesn't compare to the original. There didn't seem to be too much excitement about it, and judging from the amount of people who were there on the day we went (a Saturday, on a holiday weekend), I don't think there will be a repeat event next year.

It just wouldn't be a festival without smoked pork.

The Feria was organized into large tents, with the concert space at the back and the carnival rides in the middle. There was art, clothing, housewares, a food expo, and a couple other things, but most of it was the same sort of stuff that you can find at other festivals or around town. The art was nice, but the clothes and jewelry were for the most part cheaply made and widely available in Lima; in other words, nothing special. The food tent obviously had a lot of great things, but nothing new. I got some organic chocolate and managed to resist buying a delicious raspberry liqueur.

There were a few interesting things on display, such as a mineral exhibit showing the minerals that can be found in Peru (silver and gold look pretty gnarly in their natural form). There was a nice but small display of traditional marinera dance outfits from different regions of Peru, and a short but well-done video looking back on the history of the Feria. I think most of the people there enjoyed the trip down memory lane, and for first-timers like me it was nice to have some perspective on the history.

 Traditional marinera outfit from Lima.

One of the highlights of the fair was the carnival rides. Peru has no permanent amusement parks, so any opportunity to go on rides is met with anticipation. Well, this was no Six Flags, but there were still some impressive lines and a couple of exciting rides. They say you become your mother, and if my stomach's reaction to the swirling rides is any indication, I can say that it's true. I remember when I was a kid going on all the rides at Valleyfair and swearing that I would never get motion sick when I got older. I didn't realize that "older" meant 26.  I think Jorge will be disappointed when we go to an amusement park and I have to wait for him from the sidelines.

 These guys had it in for me.

The crown jewel of the Feria, and perhaps the one thing that made it solvent, was the music. There was a great lineup of Peruvian and international artists, such as the British band James and salsa superstar Ruben Blades. We saw the Peruvian cumbia groups Los Destellos and Los Mirlos. There weren't many people there, even though so-called chicha music (the name for the unique mixture of Peruvian traditional influences and the cumbia rhythm) is very popular. However, the headlining artists attracted much larger crowds.

It's probably a good thing they're musicians and not fashion designers.

Then there was the food, which was a head-scratcher. There were rows upon rows of restaurants and booths, hundreds of chairs, and almost no customers in sight. The prices were steep and the offerings mediocre, especially with Mistura just around the corner. I had a pretty good paella, but it cost twice what it should have.

Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed. It was a fun way to spend an afternoon, but nothing out of the ordinary, and Lima has a lot of events and ferias. It would be a shame if the Feria's grand reopening closed after just one year, but I can't say I'd miss it too much.





No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario