domingo, 15 de febrero de 2015

Getting Married in Peru: Paperwork and Preparations

 Jorge and I got married last Thursday! It was a simple ceremony, but the whole thing was really nice especially because my family was able to come down for it. But I'm getting ahead of myself - the next post will be about the actual wedding, but this post is about the paperwork side of things.

Getting married in Peru is surprisingly easy compared to other official government processes. In terms of paperwork, it's much less burdensome than getting your carnet de extranjería (residence permit), requiring fewer documents and fewer steps overall. And the greatest part is, you don't have to pay anything at the Banco de la Nación, Peru's central bank that always has lines around the block. That said, nothing in Peru is ever easy peasy lemon squeezy, and we did have a few hiccups before finally sorting everything out.

Finally, making things official!

Every district has slightly different requirements, but here were the requirements for Surco:

1. Official birth certificate, issued in the last three months and apostilled (if you are from a country that is a Hague Convention signer)
2. Certificado de soltería, or a sworn statement of singlehood. You can get this from the U.S. Embassy (and pay a bundle) or in the U.S. county where you have permanent residence. If it's the latter, then it also has to be apostilled. I believe this also has to be less than three months old.
3. The two documents above must be translated by an official translator licensed by the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (Ministry of Foreign Affairs), then taken to the Ministerio to get the translation 'legalized'. (I guess they don't trust their own translators?)

Here's a list of official translators by district: http://www.rree.gob.pe/servicioalciudadano/Documents/Listado_Ingles.pdf

4. A copy of your partner's birth certificate.
5. A certificate from the district's clinic - you have your blood drawn, they take an X-ray, and then you go back the next day where they 'counsel' you and give you your certificate. Supposedly, they talk to you about pregnancy planning and STDs, but they just explained our blood types and that was it.
6. A carnet-sized photo of each person, which can be taken at any photo store and most supermarkets.
7. A copy of your passport or carnet (more on that below) and copy of your partner's DNI (national identity card), both notarized.
8. You will also need two witnesses for the wedding, who should go with you to fill out the paperwork and bring a copy of their carnet / DNI.
9. Finally, the district will issue a marriage announcement that can be published in any newspaper. You have to buy the newspaper and bring in the entire page (no cuttings) with the marriage announcement to finalize your paperwork.

I have no idea what the administrative costs are to get married in the US, but here it's not too bad. The documents you need as a foreigner and the translation will probably be the most costly thing about it. From what I can remember, here were the costs of each step:

My birth cert and apostille were about $25 together, plus express shipping to my home state;
The record search and apostille for my certificado de soltería were $10 in total (but if you go to the US Embassy in Lima it'll cost you $30 or more);
The translation for both documents was S/.160 (about $50), but I was quoted much higher prices by other translators so shop around!;
The legalization fee was S/.33 per document, a total of about $20 (the costs add up for these documents for foreigners as you can see);
The medical exam was S/.35 per person, or about $10 per person;
The wedding announcement was S/.45, or about $15;
The fee for the municipality was somewhere around S/.200 ($70) since we were both residents of Surco and we had the ceremony during normal business hours. This included an extra half hour for a toast in the room where they do the weddings;
Plus a lot of money spent on taxis to and from the various places we needed to be.

You need some additional documents if you are divorced or widowed, but that's about it. Doesn't sound too bad, does it? The tricky part is in the fact that I have not once, ever, received correct information here the first time I asked. So you need to constantly be asking and double-checking to make sure you actually have all the requirements. For example, I was told using my passport would be preferable to using my carnet. I was doubtful, but since the lady insisted so many times that that was indeed correct, I used my passport number on the health certificate. Then, when we went to present our documents, she asked why my passport had no exit date written on my last entrance stamp. I pointed out that it was because I had entered with my carnet and therefore was allowed to be here until that was no longer valid. She frowned and told me that if there was no date on the passport stamp, I had to use my carnet. Cue incredulous look and strong desire to throw things. So we had to go back to the clinic and have them re-issue the document, and then return to the district office before they could reserve our wedding date. In the grand scheme of things, not such a big deal, but I was pretty annoyed since I had specifically asked this very question.

So there you have it! If you can manage to do all that without losing your cool at least once, then marriage should be a breeze.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario